5. I Built My Fortress



 "Mistaking Failure for Humility, and Killing Big T" by Ted Kluck


+God was leading me on a journey toward complete brokenness, but He still had a few idols left to destroy, including the praise of man. 

+We often describe failure as "a humbling experience." This is the whole "At least you´re building character" argument.

+But I wasn´t becoming humble; I was becoming embittered and cynical- My heart, gradualy, was being hardened. I was seeing the doctrine of Total and Inherited Depravity on full display in my own heart. As Tozer writes in The Pursuit of God, "There is within the human heart a tough, fibrous root of fallen life whose nature it is to posses, always to posseee."

+We sin because we fundamentally distrust that God´s plan will be enough to bring us the hapiness (or esteem or comfort) that we crave the most. So we look to the world to provide those things. And many times, from Christians, we´re just implored to sin less.

+I was sinning by doubting in three specific areas: One, that God is sovereign. Two, that God is working all things for my good. And Three, that God is good.

+In The Joy of Calvinism, author Greg Forster writes, "The Bible commands us to rejoice all the time. God says that if there is even a tiny fraction of a split second when we´re not rejoicing, that´s disobedience."

+In America we sometimes call that competitiveness, but in reality it´s just sin (jealousy, envy), and it makes a person (read:me) the worst kind of jerk at times.

+David´s greatest strengths were his greatest weaknesses.

+"Confession and repentance is where the power of Christianity is." That´s wisdom that, of course, applies to both men and women.

+He [David] remind us that God does not delight in burnt offerings. He doesn´t want our money or, necessarily , our impressive spiritual résumés. He wants brokenness and contrition. That, David writes, He will never despise.

And oddly, out of the brokenness and contrition, comes joy.

Leer: 4 . Personal Jesus

ACERCA DEL AUTOR: Ted kluck




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares